A - Z Zero Waste Directory

Your local directory of zero waste options for donating, recycling and disposing of your items safely and correctly.


  • ...
  • I
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • ...
  • ...
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • ...
  • ...
  • W
  • X
  • Y
  • Z

Aluminium cans

Put aluminium cans into your recycling bin for kerbside collection. Please rinse thoroughly before recycling. 

Antifreeze (glycol)

Contact ERS NZ Ltd (0800 377 977) regarding disposal of antifreeze.

Ash - cooled

Once cooled, ash can be added to your home compost bin or placed under trees. Or wrap in paper and then waste packaging and place in your landfill bin.

Batteries - Alkaline

Standard alkaline batteries (AAA/AA/C/D) can be safely disposed of to landfill as these don’t contain any hazardous materials. 

Batteries - button (watches, calculators and hearing aids)

Hearing aid batteries can be dropped freely in some hearing aid shops such as Triton Hearing. Contact your local jeweller to ask if they also have a battery recycling collection.

Batteries - larger quantities

Contact a commercial service provider such as Waste Management (ph 06 757 8381 or get in touch online)

Alternatively you can contact a specialist battery recycler like Aircycle or Upcycle to find out if they will collect from your facility (charges may apply).

Batteries - other (cellphones, power tools or cameras, for example that may be lithium)

Contact the supplier of the appliance or your local electrician. Ask at your local Spark, Vodafone or 2Degrees dealer as they have a 'take back' policy for cellphones and cellphone batteries. These are most likely to be lithium.

Batteries - vehicle (boats, cars, motorbikes, trucks)

Contact a local battery recycler like Century (Click here to find your nearest store – the map view will show you which stores also have a Battery Recycling Centre) who will take your old lead acid battery FREE of charge. Alternatively, take to a scrap metal dealer, Repco (137 Courtenay Street, New Plymouth or 57 High Street, Hawera), or ask at your local garage.


Books in good condition can be donated to a local second-hand shop. Ripped or degraded books can be placed in your recycling bin, including hard cover books.


Boots can be repaired at a local shoe repair shop. Boots or shoes in good condition can be donated to a local second-hand store. If not in good condition, please place in your landfill bin.

Building materials

Building materials such as timber, corrugated iron and gib, as well as fittings, fixtures, bathroom and kitchen units, lights, windows, doors, hardware and tools in good condition can all be donated to The Junction on Colson Road. Alternatively contact Building Traders or Revive Building Recyclers to arrange an on-site quote, or drop off of used items. Items can also be donated via the Taranaki Recycled Building Materials Facebook Group, Freecycle New Plymouth, or Permaculture in Taranaki Facebook Group.

Cans (aluminium or steel)

Put into your recycling bin for kerbside collection. Please rinse thoroughly before recycling.

Car bodies

Enquire at your local car wreckers or scrap-metal dealers regarding collection.


3R provides a collection and disposal service for industrial, agricultural or household chemicals - ChemCollect.

Clothing (clothes, shoes, boots, handbags etc.)

Donate good-quality used clothing to local second-hand stores, charity collections or clothing bins. Please only donate items that are in good condition and can be on-sold, and ask volunteers/staff before drop off if you are unsure.

Coffee capsules

Used Nescafe Dolce Gusto coffee capsules can be recycled via the free TerraCycle recycling program. Find local drop off points on the TerraCycle map, fill in the application form to set up a free public collection box.

L'OR, Moccona and L'affare coffee capsules can also be recycled via TerraCycle, either by setting up a public drop off point or by sending your collected capsules directly to TerraCycle using a shipping label downloaded from their website with a free account.

Compostable packaging - Home compostable

Certified home compostable packaging (look for certifications AS580 or EN 13432, AS 5810) can be composted in your home compost bin. You can also contact local compost drop off sites listed on the ShareWaste website to see if they accept home compostable packaging. If you cannot compost it, place compostable packing in the landfill bin.

Compostable packaging, cups, containers - Commercially compostable

Commercially compostable packaging and compostable coffee cups can only be composted in a commercial composting facility. (Look for the certifications AS4 4736, EN 13432 or ASTM D 6400/6868 for certified commercially compostable products).

Contact EnviroWaste or Waste Management to get a quote for a commercial compost collection at your workplace or cafe. 

Computers, monitors, printers and fax machines

If your unwanted computer equipment, printer or fax machine still has life left in it and you are happy to give it away, you could offer it to The ICT Gateway or a charity shop - just check first that they are willing to take IT equipment. Or you could list it on Freecycle or offer it to a local school. Be sure to delete all personal data from your computer beforehand. If in doubt about how to do this, contact a computer service shop. See also our information on recycling electronic waste.

Concrete and bricks

Clean used concrete and bricks can be dropped off for recycling at The Junction on Colson Road or alternatively Jones Quarry, Mahoetahi Rd (between New Plymouth and Waitara). Call 06 754 8500 or 027 276 2498 or see www.jonesquarry.co.nz.

Concrete can be dropped off for recycling to Taranaki Concrete Recyclers, Rifle Range Rd, New Plymouth. Call 027 896 4288 for details.

Contact lenses and packaging

Used contact lenses and contact lens packaging can be dropped off for free recycling at Browning & Matthews Optometrists at 100 Devon St East, New Plymouth.

Cookware - metal pots, pans, tins and utensils

Donate good quality items to your local charity shop. Here is a suggestion on what else you can do with your cooking equipment that cannot be donated:

Pots and pans in poor condition could be remade into planters - simply drill drainage holes into the bottom of the pot and add soil and ornamental plants.

Some cooking equipment can be recycled. Copper pots and pans can be recycled through your local scrap metal dealer or transfer station. Fees may apply.

Items which cannot be repurposed or donated need to be put in your landfill bin or bag (depending on your district).

Crockery plates

If it is in good condition, crockery can be donated to a local second-hand store. If broken please wrap and place in your landfill bin.


Curtains in good condition can be donated to a local second-hand shop - affordable curtains can make a big difference to the warmth and health of people's homes. Ripped or degraded curtains made from natural fibres could be used as rags. Mouldy curtains or degraded curtains made from synthetic or thermal-backed fabrics should be placed in the landfill bin. 

Drinking glasses

If unbroken and in good condition, drinking glasses can be donated to a local second-hand store. If broken or chipped, please wrap securely in newspaper or waste packaging and place in your landfill bin.


If it is made up of natural fibres, dust from sweeping or vacuum cleaners can be added to your home compost bin or placed under trees and dug into the soil. If it contains synthetic fibres, dust should be wrapped in paper and then waste packaging or a bag, and placed in your landfill bin.

Electrical items/appliances

Many appliances and some electrical items can be repaired locally – contact businesses such as Surf City Appliance Repairs, Mason Appliances, Kingsroy Electric, Wayne Jury Appliance Repairs, Trident Electronics, or a phone, electronics or computer repair shop.

If they are in good working condition, some electrical items can be donated to local second-hand stores – phone first to check which items are accepted. You may also be able to give some electrical items such as non-working fridges to a local scrap metal dealer – phone first to check.

E-waste and other electronic items can also be recycled – see ‘electronic waste’.

Electronic waste (e-Waste)

There are drop-off points for e-Waste recycling in New Plymouth, South Taranaki and Stratford. Charges apply, but most are subsidised by the New Plymouth District Council, South Taranaki District Council and Stratford District Council in their respective areas.

New Plymouth: Transfer Station, Colson Rd (EnviroWaste Ltd, ph 06 758 7601). Hours: 8am-4.30pm daily. More information and price list

South Taranaki: Hawera Transfer Station, Scott Street (Envirowaste Ltd, ph 06 278 8404 (Office)). Hours: 8.30am-5pm Monday – Friday; 9.30am-5pm Friday; 12:30pm-5pm Saturday-Sunday. More information and price list

Stratford: Transfer Station, Cordelia St. Hours: 2pm-5pm Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday; 10am-1pm Wednesday; 1pm-5pm Saturday-Sunday. Prices: $10 per unit (stereo, computer), $20 per unit (TV)

E-waste from Taranaki is shipped to E-cycle in Auckland where products are dismantled and separated into component or material categories. These materials are then sent to local and international specialist recyclers for conversion back into raw materials or for re-use in new products. For more information visit E-cycle.

Small quantities of domestic electronic waste can be dropped in for free e-waste recycling at OfficeWorks and Warehouse Stationery stores.


Fabric in good condition can be donated to a local second-hand store for reuse for sewing projects - discuss with the store to check. Fabrics in worn condition can be cut up and used for rags or cleaning cloths at home. If you have larger quantities of clean white cotton, white towelling or white flannelette, these can be donated at Savers New Plymouth for on-selling as rags. Contact them first to check, on 758-8705.

Fluorescent light bulbs/tubes (wrapped)

Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes can be recycled in larger quantities via commercial recyclers such as EnviroWaste, Interwaste and Waste Management. They can drop off a collection box in your workplace, school or community group for filling over time. If bulbs are not recycled, please wrap them well (ideally with padding with waste packaging so they do not break) and place in the landfill bin. 

Food waste/scraps

Visit the Love Food Hate Waste website to find tips and recipes to help you reduce your food waste and save money.

If you have leftover edible food from your food business or event, you can donate it to On the House, a food distribution charity who pick up surplus food.

Unavoidable food scraps make great compost, which can be spread on your garden to make it healthy and productive. Learn how to create your own compost bin or worm farm on the Composting and Worm Farming webpage.

If you're not able to compost at home, either use your food scraps bin (in the New Plymouth District), garden/food waste bin (South Taranaki), or arrange to drop your food scraps to a ShareWaste drop off point or a neighbour who composts.

Garden Pots

Donate to a local community restoration group or take to The Junction if the pots are still in good condition and not damaged.

Gas bottles

LPG bottles (including out-of-date bottles with surface rust) can be swapped at Swap'n'Go or OnGas facilities when purchasing a new full bottle. See ongas.co.nz/bottle-swap/for-customers or www.elgas.co.nz/swapngo for more details.

Rockgas Taranaki will accept cylinders, depending on available space. Phone 06 757 9264 to confirm details, or call in to see them at 18/20 Constance St, Waiwhakaiho, New Plymouth.

Some metal recyclers may also accept bottles, but phone first to check.

Gel Ice Packs

Found in food box meal deliveries, you can take these to Rawr Petz, 264 Devon Street West any time between 10am and 5pm Monday to Friday. They reuse these items for the shipping and delivery of their products.

Glass (whole bottles and jars - without lids)

Put into your blue glass crate for kerbside collection. Please rinse thoroughly and remove lids before recycling.

Glass louvre window slats

Contact Building Traders or Revive Building Recyclers to discuss whether they will accept unbroken window slats or windows.


Glasses/spectacles in good condition can be taken to Judd Opticians on King St, New Plymouth for reuse. Glasses will either be distributed to Pacific Island countries via the Lions Foundation, or frames offered for free to local residents (with tailored lenses) on their Green Wall.

Grass clippings

Grass clippings can be composted easily at home – just ensure you balance nitrogen-rich grass with more carbon-rich materials such as dry leaves, cooled ash or shredded paper. If you cannot compost at home or give to a neighbour's compost, you can drop green waste at the New Plymouth Transfer Station, or organise a bin or on-call collection with a commercial green waste collector.

Green waste (grass clippings, hedge trimmings, leaves)

Try composting at home. Turn your garden waste and lawn clippings into compost and make your garden healthy and lush. It's easy and convenient, and doesn’t need to take up much space. For more information on how to compost at home have a look at Composting and Worm Farming.

Mitre 10 also has some great information on how to make your own compost.

You could also check out your local transfer station for green waste disposal options (charges may apply) or look on the internet for green waste collectors in your area. South Taranaki District Council has a kerbside green waste collection service. Click here for more details.

Hazardous domestic waste (lead-based paint, garden chemicals)

Dispose of hazardous waste at transfer stations at Colson Rd (New Plymouth), Scott Street (Hawera) or Cordelia Street (Stratford). Domestic quantities only.

Hazardous waste - commercial

Contact Waste Management Ltd (Ph 04 568 0780 or get in touch online) or Envirowaste (Ph 0800 246 978 or click on ChemWaste) who both offer disposal options for commercial quantities of hazardous wastes.

Hot ash

To properly dispose of ashes or coals we recommend the following:

  • If possible, allow ashes and coals to cool in the area where you had the fire for several days. The fireplace or grill is designed to contain their heat safely.
  • When it's time to dispose of the ashes, transfer them to a metal container and wet them down.
  • Keep the container outside your home and away from any combustibles until you general waste collection day.
  • DO NOT use galvanized containers as hot coals on the galvanized metal will release noxious fumes.
  • DO NOT place other combustibles in the container.
  • DO NOT use a combustible container such as your yellow recycling bin

Hot water bottles

Hot water bottles in good condition can be given to The Junction or an opshop for resale. Worn or broken hot water bottles should be disposed of in the landfill bin.

Insulated Food Bags

These are the wool insulated bags that come with your weekly food box meal deliveries. They can be taken to Rawr Petz, 264 Devon Street West New Plymouth, anytime between 10am and 5pm Monday to Friday. They are reused for shipping and deliveries of their products.

Lamp shade

Lamp shades in good condition can be donated to a local second-hand store. Glass or other non-fabric lamp shades and light fittings can be dropped at Building Traders or Revive Building Recyclers.

Light bulbs (flourescent)

You can drop off your compact fluorescent light bulbs at Mitre 10 Mega in The Valley. Look for the bin inside the exit door.

Lightbulbs (energysaver)

Energysaver lightbulbs can be recycled at Bunnings stores in Hawera (click here for map) or dropped off at your local transfer station.

Medical waste (Needles, syringes and unused medication)

Always place your loose needles and sharps into approved sharps containers.

Many pharmacies offer a take-back service for needles and syringes and some sell sharps bins. Ask at your local pharmacy to see what services they can provide you with for disposing of your sharps safely and correctly.

  • DO NOT flush them down the toilet.
  • DO NOT place them in your red general waste bag or bin, public bins or your yellow recycling bin

Unused prescribed medication can also be returned at no charge to your pharmacy for safe disposal. Please contact your local pharmacy for further details.

Metals - ferrous (machinery, whiteware, steel drums, steel cans, galvanised steel)

Take to a scrap metal dealer such as Molten Metals Recycling, Energy City Recyclers or Global Metal Solutions. Some transfer stations also have separate areas for recycling scrap metal.

Metals - non ferrous (copper, brass, bronze, lead, stainless steel, aluminium)

Take to a scrap metal dealer such as Molten Metals Recycling, Energy City Recyclers or Global Metal Solutions. Some transfer stations also have separate areas for recycling scrap metal.

Milk bottle tops

Collect at home and take to The Junction Colson Road, where you can drop off into a collection container. They are then sent to a local recycler to be shredded and recycled.


Unbroken mirrors in good condition may be accepted by second-hand shops or Building Traders or Revive Building Recyclers. Broken mirrors should be wrapped securely in waste packaging or newspaper and placed in the landfill bin.

Mobile phones

Spark, Vodafone and 2degrees have free RE:MOBILE recycling drop-off bins in their shops for old phones, chargers and batteries. See local collection points and preparation instructions online.

Mobile phones can also be sent to Recycling for Charity at 1 King Charles Drive, Upper Hutt, or Main Reception, Atrium, Wellington Regional Hospital, supporting Wellington Children's Hospital.

Needles (medical)

Needles should not be placed in the landfill bin. Please contact your pharmacy or medical provider to arrange for a sharps collection container, or discuss options with a commercial waste collector such as EnviroWaste, Interwaste or Waste Management for sharps collection.

Oil (cooking)

Cookright (Vatman) - free collection service. Ph 0800 Vatman or 0800 828 626. 20-litre drums provided. Tallowman - free collection service. Ph 0800 432 862. 44-gallon drum provided.

Oil (Motor oil for vehicle engines)

Take to transfer stations at Colson Rd (New Plymouth) or Scott St (Hawera), ask at your local garage or, if you have large volumes, contact Transpacific Industrial Solutions (Ph 06-755 9150 New Plymouth) (charges may apply).

Oil filters

Two companies offer a recycling service for oil filters to motor vehicle workshops and other major oil filter users in Taranaki: ERS NZ Ltd (0800 377 977) and Ecocrush (Stuart Edwards, 027 434 5837). They collect the filters, extract the oil for reuse, and recycle the metal. There is a charge. Contact them for more information.


PaintWise (managed by the Resene Foundation) is available through the New Plymouth Resene Colorshop. PaintWise accepts any brand of decorative paint, but not automotive and marine paints, and not paint thinners, solvents or aerosols. A small charge applies to non-Resene branded product and trade returns to help offset the costs of the PaintWise programme.  Rusty and empty tins are also accepted.

The collected paint has a mix of end uses including community donation (paint as is), community donation for anti-graffiti work (blended waterborne grey paint) and other uses such as manufacture into PaintCrete. Containers collected through PaintWise will also be recycled.

The New Plymouth Resene Colorshop is at 132 Molesworth Street (view map). See www.resene.co.nz/paintwise for more information.

Note: If paint is already partially dried out, it is unsuitable for recycling. Simply leave the top off the container until the paint is dried out completely, then put  the tin out in the rubbish, or take it to PaintWise.

Pallets - untreated

Untreated pallets are accepted for free by Return 2 Earth on Egmont Road, New Plymouth. They are chipped, nails removed and recycled, and the wood chip used for animal bedding.


Newspaper, magazines, printer paper, office paper, publications, fliers, junk mail and flattened cardboard boxes can be put into your recycling bin. Paper can also be composted at home. Confidential items can be shredded, then composted. Note: Waxed paper, such as milk cartons, and carbon paper cannot be recycled or composted.

Paper - shredded

Shredded paper can be composted at home, or dropped off for free for composting by a ShareWaste host. It shouldn't be added to kerbside mixed recycling bins if it is already shredded, as it clogs machinery. 

Pharmaceuticals (medicines, drugs and other pharmacy waste)

Ask your local pharmacy about disposal of old medicines.


If you have an unwanted photocopier, contact the manufacturer (for example. Fuji Xerox, Konica Minolta, Ricoh or Canon), as they may be willing to collect it for refurbishing or recycling. There might be a cost, depending on location, age of machine and other factors. See also the information on e-Waste

Plant pots and bags

Some garden centres such as Big Jims will take back plant pots and punnets for reuse. Local revegetation projects may also be interested in reusing plant pots and bags. If you're not able to find a reuse avenue, clean pots with a 1, 2 or 5 in the triangle can be placed in yellow kerbside recycling bins. 

Plastic (milk, water and soft drink bottles, plastic containers with recycling numbers 1, 2 or 5)

Remove lids and put into your recycling bin for kerbside collection. Please rinse thoroughly before recycling.

Plastic (soft, scrunchy - plastic bags, packaging, confectionery wrappers)

The Soft Plastics Recycling Scheme now operates in Taranaki and you will find receptacles at participating Countdown supermarkets for scrunchable soft plastics including bread bags, frozen food bags, bubble wrap, vege and shopping bags. For more information please visit https://www.recycling.kiwi.nz/

Please note, plastic bags can NOT be put into your yellow kerb side recycling bin.

Try to reduce plastic bag use by taking your own reusable bag to the supermarket. Try to choose produce that is not packaged in plastic, opt for loose fruit and vegetables or use a paper or cloth produce bag. Ask for your fish and meat to be wrapped in paper. Buy your nuts and seeds from bulk food shops like Bin Inn where you can take your own container to fill up.

Plate glass

Some large glass will be accepted for reuse at Building Traders or Revive Building Recyclers. Contact them to arrange an on-site quote or to didrop off used items.


Polystyrene is recycled at Egmont Refuse and Recycling Ltd, 19 Scott St, Hawera, ph 06 278 6170. This service is free for small domestic quantities but there is a charge of  $2 a kilogram for larger quantities.

Printer/toner cartridges

Any type of printer or toner cartridge can be dropped off at OfficeMax and Warehouse Stationery stores for free recycling. (Note this is for domestic quantities only, not drop off by businesses.)

Pyrex glass

If it is in good condition, Pyrex glass items can be donated to a local second-hand store. If it is chipped or in poor condition, Pyrex items should be wrapped and placed in your landfill bin.

Reusable items

If they are in good condition, many second-hand shops are keen to receive quality second-hand items for re-sale. However please discuss your items with the shop first to ensure they are able and willing to receive them. Do not drop off items outside second-hand shops outside of hours - this is illegal dumping, and is a significant cost for charities. 


Usable rope may be accepted by a second-hand shop such as Hospice. Please dispose of frayed or degraded rope in your landfill bin.

Seedling/plant containers

Ask your garden shop when you purchase seedlings if they will take back the containers for reuse or recycling. You could also advertise seedling containers for reuse via Freecycle New Plymouth or Permaculture in Taranaki Facebook Group or take them along to a local Crop Swap.

Seedling containers can only be recycled in your yellow recycling bin if they are clean and have a number 1, 2 or 5 in a triangle on it.


Shoes can be repaired at a local shoe repair shop. Shoes in good condition may be able to be donated to a local second-hand store - discuss if they want to receive quality shoes. If shoes are not in good condition for resale, please place them in your landfill bin.


Check with your supplier, as some offer a take-back system; otherwise contact Transpacific Industrial Solutions (Ph 06-755 9150 New Plymouth).

Sports wear, equipment and shoes

Sports equipment in good condition can be donated to a local Cadbury Donate Your Kit locker. This includes team sports and training equipment (e.g. bibs, balls, bats, cones), football and rugby boots, sports bags, and general sportswear in good condition.

Items can also be donated to a local opshop.


Steel is infinitely recyclable. Take to a scrap metal dealer such as Molten Metals Recycling, Energy City Recyclers or Global Metal Solutions, who may pay for drop off of recyclable items by weight, or pick up from your site. Some transfer stations have separate areas for recycling scrap metal.

Steel cans

Put into your recycling bin for kerbside collection. Please rinse thoroughly before recycling. 


Textiles such as unused fabric, zips, buttons and threads that are in good condition may be accepted by your local second-hand store. Phone them first to check they are willing to accept these items. Worn or stained textiles that cannot be reused as rags should be placed in your landfill bin.


Contact Building Traders or Revive Building Recyclers to discuss drop off of usable timber (untreated and treated), or to arrange an on-site quote for pick up and payment.

Pallets may be able to be picked up by suppliers. The public are also often interested in reusing pallets of non-treated timber, so you may want to advertise pallets for pick up if you have a stockpile. Non-treated pallets can also be dropped off for a small fee at Return to Earth in New Plymouth for chipping for animal bedding.

For treated timbers, discuss options with your local Transfer Station.

Toner cartridges

To recycle copier and printer toner cartridges, contact Cartridge World New Plymouth on 06 757 4380 or the Toner Recycling Company (TRC) on 0800 180 160.

Toothpaste tube, toothbrush, floss containers

Plastic toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes, toothpaste caps, floss containers and their outer packaging materials and mouthwash bottles can all be dropped at a local Terracycle recycling drop off point for free recycling. Note electronic toothbrushes and electronic toothbrush parts are not recyclable through this program.


Toys in good condition can be donated to your local second-hand shop. Alternatively contact the Taranaki Toy Library or a local creche or parents group to discuss the toys you have to donate and if they would like to receive them. Broken toys should go in the landfill bin. 


Ask your tyre/auto provider if they have a take back scheme for used tyres for recycling. Tyres can also be dropped at a Transfer Station for a fee. For larger quantities of tyres contact Waste Management or EnviroWaste to get a quote for collection.


Unused wallpaper rolls or roll ends in good condition can be given to The Junction for resale. Ripped off wallpaper needs to go to landfill, as it contains glues that contaminate paper recycling.


Standard garden weeds can be composted at home, or given to a local ShareWaste drop off point locally if they agree to take them. You can also drop non-noxious weeds at the New Plymouth Transfer Station green waste collection, or organise a green waste bin or on-call collection with a commercial green waste collector.

Only noxious weeds such as Tradescantia or wild ginger, and non-compostable plants such as flax and cabbage tree leaves can be placed in your landfill bin. See the full list of allowable noxious weeds in this Taranaki Regional Council document.


Old and non-operating whiteware can be recycled. Contact your local scrap metal dealer or local transfer station (charges may apply). Fridges and air conditioners should be degassed before recycling.


Usable timbers can be on-sold via Building Traders, Revive Building Recyclers or The Junction. Contact them to discuss drop off or to arrange an on-site quote for pick up and payment.

Excess wood from felled trees can be sold or donated via a local buy and sell group.

Untreated wood is accepted freely at Return 2 Earth on Egmont Road, New Plymouth, and chipped into animal bedding.

For treated wood, discuss options with your local Transfer Station.